The bridges of Bureau County take travelers to and fro
It wasn’t that long ago that “The Bridges of Madison County,” first as a novel and then as a major motion picture, drew attention to vintage covered bridges in one particular Iowa county, and to covered bridges in general.
Bureau County has a stake in the story of covered bridges, too.
Not only is the county home to one of the oldest covered bridges in Illinois, the Red Covered Bridge north of Princeton, built in 1863, but it is home to one of the newest — the Captain Swift Covered Bridge, west of Princeton, built in 2006.
Wooden structures have given way to those made of iron, steel and concrete, as travelers will find as they cross the county’s creeks, the Hennepin Canal, and the Illinois River.
Some historic bridges are expected to last for quite awhile longer, but the days are numbered for the old Route 89 bridge on the south edge of Spring Valley. After the new structure is completed, the old bridge will be taken down, existing then only in the memories of those who depended on it for many years.
Looking for an enjoyable spring jaunt? Take a drive to see some of the remarkable bridges of Bureau County.